Sunday 27 May 2012

KAYODE: From Grass to Grace!

From Nigeria Football Academy, Ibadan to Red Bull Soccer Academy, Ghana and then on to Cote d’Ivoire giants ASEC Mimosas before a loan move to FC Luzern of Switzerland, Olanrewaju Kayode is gradually becoming the journey man of Nigerian football.

His young career has seen its ups and downs. After interests from the Ghana FA to represent them, former Black Stars defender Tony Baffoe recommended Kayode to the Nigeria Football Federation.  But he was disappointed as he was often played as a late substitute by coach John Obuh at the 2009 U-17 World Cup on home soil.

However at the 2011 African Youth Championship, he scored a goal and won a penalty for another goal as the Flying Eagles beat Cameroon 3-2 to emerge African champions for the sixth time.
At the 2011 U-20 World Cup in Colombia, the player once on the radar of Spanish giants Real Madrid, posted a fine performance scoring three goals as Nigeria painfully exited the tourney in the quarter-final.
Now the player, who admires Portuguese superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo, says he’s not done yet with travelling as he aims to realise his dream of playing in the big leagues of Europe.

In the beginning
I started football just like any other Nigerian kid but it was easy for me to become a footballer because of my parents support. And I was motivated by my father who bought me kits to get along with my mates, so I had no problem telling them that I wanted to take football as a career even though my parents also wanted me to go to school. I still hope to go back to school some day.
I still remember a day I returned home from the field where we used to play local tourneys. I came back to tell my father to buy me boots for another tournament elsewhere. The next day he came back with a pair of boots for me. But some other young players weren’t as lucky; they were beaten and caged by their parents just to stop them from choosing football as a career.

Golden Eaglets
It was a very horrible experience for me at the U-17 World Cup but I’m happy I have made up in subsequent competitions I have represented my country. I lost concentration, I was not focused. I’m now a better player after the experience. My game is more mature unlike at the U-17 and U-20 levels.

Swiss topflight
I always wanted to play in Europe and to play in a lucrative league but at times you have to make sacrifices before you get to the top. That is why I welcomed the idea of joining FC Luzern. They may not be winning the Swiss league but they have good programmes for young players like me. My dream has been to play in Europe and that is the reason why I gave my best at ASEC Mimosas and they (ASEC) got me the offer.
Of course I told my club that I wanted to play in Europe this year and they agreed with me after playing for the Flying Eagles and scoring some crucial goals at the U-20 World Cup in Colombia.  With my performance in Colombia, ASEC officials told me about Luzern. And I am happy to have finally realised my dream.
Coming to play in Switzerland is a stepping stone in my career. That is why I must give my best to ensure that I have good offers by the time I finish my loan deal, which expires in December. It’s good for me to start my European sojourn in Switzerland because the facilities are very good.

EPL ambition
I have been playing consistently in Switzerland. If things continue like this hopefully I will play in a big league like the English Premier League or the French Ligue 1.

Personal aim
I want to emulate my model Cristiano Ronaldo both on and off the pitch but I would love to play for Arsenal. Ronaldo and Arsenal are big brands, so dreaming of both means I must work harder than before. I believe it is possible if I keep my h ead up.

Super Eagles
I want to play for the senior national team and I know I have to work harder to get a call-up from the coaches. Nigeria is blessed with lots of talents and everybody wants to play for the Eagles but I think hard work and dedication will give me my chance. I will be there in the Eagles but I am not in a hurry.

Lifestyle
Firstly I always remember where I come from. Though I may be tempted with the fame that comes with the game, I always control myself when I remember my roots.
I love to look good and I like wearing good designer labels. I love listening to music and mixing with people from different countries. I love good cars but I am not a car freak anyway. Of course girls come around me probably because of my games. I respond well to them but I don’t womanise. I am too young for that. I have an image to protect.

Regrets
Losing to France at the quarter-final stage of the 2011 U-20 World Cup was really hard to take. Another regretful moment for me was when the national U-23 team failed to qualify for this year’s Olympic Games.
Before the 2011 U-20 World Cup, I challenged myself to give my best at the tournament because if I did, I would have the chance to play for the U-23 side. God answered my prayers but I think we were not just destined to be at the Olympics.

Culled from Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment