Friday 14 October 2011

AKINSOLA: Playing for Dream Team is my PRIORITY

Cardiz CF of Spain striker, Kabiru Akinsola said he cannot wait for a return to the national U-23 team popularly known as Dream Team IV for a place in the pre-Olympic tournament.

The former Nigeria U-17 star Kabiru Akinsola popularly called Akingoal on loan to Cardiz CF after completing a three year deal with Spanish La Liga newcomer FC Granada.
Akinsola who has been targeting a national team return could not wait to jeer the Cardiz fans with eight prolific goals to his name in the Spanish league second tier.

"I'm put myself in a good shape for the new season to prove myself for the fans, and I am happy to be reaping it now. I am happy for my form but I want to keep scoring for my club, I believe my form will continue till the end of the season.
"I'm enjoying every bit of my training with the team and I am happy to be here.

"I think the best of player comes on the pitch when the big games begin, I have come here to play and to be a successful player both at club and national team level.

"I will really prove myself here, I have stay back to learn the game, I want to begin paying off the lost time. I want to prove the doubters wrong.

How are you doing right now in Cardiz CF?
It has been a great season for me here and I want to really keep it up. I am for everything here because everybody in the technical crew believe much on my ability and they always give me the confidence that I can do much better than what I am doing.

Obviously, things are moving well for you in Cardiz CF with eight goals to your name already. What is the secret of your form?
I don't know if you can recalled my game during the U-17 World Cup in Korea 2009, I was at my pick and my game was good according to you guys but at times in football, you lose form and people does not know that it is only encouragement you need to return to best form. I am being encouraged and appreciated here and that is why things are moving well for me. The team has really helped me in getting to my best form likewise the way am scoring for them. I think my best is just coming in a matter of time. My current form is base on total concentration and hardworking. I was motivated in my new club not monetary wise but with lots of confidence.

You’re scoring consistently these days. Was this something you specifically worked on before the season began?
Yes I did work in my scoring ability before at the pre-season. I’m playing higher up the field these days, almost like an attacker. It means I get behind the defenders a lot more and find myself in a lot more one-on-one situations and then I took my chances.

Did missing out on Dream Team Olympic qualifiers’ squad act as an added motivation going into the new season?
Let me quickly say this; I was certainly motivated to prove why I am needed in the Dream team during the qualifiers but unfortunately the coaches could not look into my way. It was a blow at the time, but long term, I think it was a good thing for me because I have enough time to help my club. It allowed me to get away on holiday and have a proper break, and when I came back I was hugely motivated. 
Is it true that you ignore Dream team call up?
I never received anyone! I always monitor national team assignment and I will know if I am invited or not but for now, I can authoritatively tell you that nobody has sent me any invitation.

How did you see Dream Team chances in morocco for the pre-Olympic tournament?
We are going to qualify. Why I use we is because I am a Nigerian and I love to play for my country anytime but I felt bad at times if some of my colleagues are getting call up and I will be ignore. If you can agree with me that Dream Team will qualify because the Super Eagles are already out of Nations Cup and Nigerians need consolation pride and that is what Dream team need to do for the country.

Austin Eguavon is touring Europe for players. How did you see your chances of playing for the star studded team?
I also see myself as a professional, and coming to play for my country will never scare me if am given the chance. I know what you are saying but I believe I can equally contribute my quota to the development of the team but it all depends on the coach.

Have you been in touch with the coach?
I have not but I was in touch with his assistant coach, Ben Iroha.

What is the discussion all about?
I told him my readiness to come and play for my country and I will be glad for a call up but he never guarantees me for any. But I think my performance here in Cardiz will surely open the door. What I need now is to up my games and keep my form and be hopeful of the call up.

No comments:

Post a Comment