Tuesday 21 February 2012

AKINSOLA: Soaring high in Spain



Former Under-17 striker and currently plying his trade for Cardiz CF of Spain, Kabiru Akinsola says he’s enjoying every bit of his stay in Spain and believes his current form can bring success to the club.

Akinsola, who is on loan at Segunda B side Cadiz from Granada in the La Liga, has netted 12 goals from 23 games this season. He is the club’s leading goal scorer and second top scorer in the Segunda B. 

The 21-year-old striker noted: “I’m happy because I’ve been able to prove some people wrong, they thought I am finished but this shows that my career is just beginning,” Akinsola revealed exclusively.

“I really want to score as many goals as possible and look at my tally at the end of the season for top scorer award. I am been appreciated here. The fans love me and i love them in return. And that is why i am giving them my best. I will not stop scoring goals as much as I am happy every day. I will not only win the golden boot but also win trophies for the club. The President has shown me a lot of love here and I believe I can help the club to get to the highest stage”.

Akinsola has set a 20-goal target having scored 12 goals already. The Nigerian player showed glimpses of his best form for his Spanish club and he is determined to scale the heights that made him an instant hit with the Cardiz fans following his arrival in August.
“I think I am getting to my best and I will get stronger and stronger," Akinsola revealed. "In particular I think my work on set-pieces especially my attacking ability is better according to my coach, but I am still not flattered and will even work harder”, said Akinsola.

“My target is simple - I would like to score 20 goals in total, yes that is my target and I am working towards it.”
His consistent goal scoring is paying off as three clubs already queue for his service in the summer.
“After my game against Valencia in Copa Delrey, I was wanted by some clubs but my club President blocked the deal claiming that he cannot let me go because I have a lot to prove if I return to Granada. “Really, I was flattered for such comment because he’s the owner of Granada and I signed for him. But I don’t want to be distracted by transfer. I want to keep my focus and help Cardiz win”.
'Akigol', as some of the media have christened him, is however not happy not happy with the way he is treated by the Nigeria national teams handlers.  

The former Salamanca ace said he was disappointed with the way he was treated during the Dream Team V 2012 Olympic qualifiers and he’s yet to know why the Dream Team V handler refuse to honour him a call into the U-23 team even when he opened up to the media that he’s ready to come and play for his fatherland.
The 21-year-old striker was part of the victorious U-17 team that won the World Cup in 2007 under the tutelage of Late Yemi Tella, and since then he has been frozen out of the national team.

He said: “I don’t know why the national team coaches ignored me even at the top of my form, I was ignored. I don’t know what I might have done for my country’s coaches. Since the death of Tella, I only came twice to play for my country and even when I am doing well for my club, the coaches in charge of the under 20 and Olympic teams did not call me”. 
He added; “I was denied the 2009 U-20 World Cup, now again I was denied the U-23 team shirt. Well, I don’t know where the problem is but I believe the dream of playing for Super Eagles still remain intact, and I believe things will get better in the national team.

"My games here have opened a lot of progress in my career, and I really thank God for making me what I am today”.
After the 2007 U-17 World Cup, Akinsola was linked to Arsenal but the deal collapsed along the line but the lanky forward has not lost a dream move to a European top club.
"I’ve not lost hope of playing for Arsenal or any other big clubs but my focus now is on Cardiz”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment