Tuesday 12 March 2013

MICHAEL showers praises on Keshi

Kryvbas of Ukraine young winger Michael Babatunde has said he will make the most of his surprise invitation by African champions Nigeria.
The former Olympic team winger has been picked for a March 23 World Cup qualifier against Kenya in Calabar

You have been called up by the Super Eagles. How do you see this opportunity?

Michael Babatunde:
I am happy with the call-up to the Eagles. I have always been hopeful that I will get the chance to play for Nigeria again as long as I’m doing well for my club. Honestly, this invitation is a dream come true for me.
What do you think earned you this invitation?
I have been doing well for my club and I believe I also did well with the Olympic team in 2011 and the coach (Stephen Keshi) was at the London 2012 qualifying tournament in Morocco.
You have been likened to the great Lionel Messi. Has that affected you?
I am flattered by this comparison, but as a young player who is willing to learn all the time, I know I have to keep working hard.

I always feel challenged whenever I read such comparisons. It is great to be likened to Messi, the best player in the world. I still have a lot to prove. Messi is an exceptional talent. I can only hope to be like him and this could make me a better player. It is always my dream to live up to expectations and so far, so good, I have not disappointed.
Do you think you have all it takes to break into the Eagles first team?
As I said I am always ready to learn, I am not in Eagles to outshine anybody, but to convince the coach that I am a player who could really add value to the team. I will be there to serve my fatherland, not to displace anybody. I believe it is my time.
What do you hope to achieve this season?
I always want to improve season after season. My target is always to do better than what I did the previous season. I want to lift my team. I enjoy great support here and that was why they were reluctant to allow me to leave in January.
Ukraine league started last week with Kryvbas playing a 1-1 draw with Dynamo Kiev. Do you think your club could really compete with the big guns?
We are aiming higher and would want to finish well this term. My target is to help my team finish among the top eight at the end of the season. We could even better this if we can be more consistent.
You almost left Kryvbas during the winter transfer window, but they slammed one million pounds price tag on you to scare away the suitors. Were you disappointed that you did not move?
I am not disappointed because they want the best for me. Only an incredible offer could take me away because they know I have what it takes to improve at any club in this world. I know the best offer will come at the best time and what I need now is to focus on my game. They want me to grow with them and then get a better deal in a top club in a top league either here or outside Ukraine.
Back to the national team, do you think you could make left wing your own in the Eagles?
I will answer that question on the pitch not on the pages of newspapers. I just need the chance so that I could answer that question properly. It is only then that everybody will really appreciate my talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment